Treat Your Horse
We all know how important it is to treat our horses. While my friends horses’ eat chips and oatmeal cookies, my horse is somewhat picky. She doesn’t like to try anything outside the normal carrot and apples, so I was shocked when she indulged in this frozen delight. Luckily I recently stumbled upon this horse treat recipe (here) and decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at what a huge hit it was!
This frozen horse treat recipe is perfect for the hot summer days are upon us and also a good option if you have one of those horses that tend to get bored in his stall.
What You Need
- Empty ice cream container (or something of similar size)
- 1 Apple
- 1 Carrot
- Any other of your horses favorite fruits or veggies
- Fill the container 3/4 of the way with water
- Mix in a spoonful of molasses (or more, you can’t really go wrong)
- Cut the vegetables and fruit up and add it to the container
- Place in freezer overnight
- When time to remove run some warm water over the container to loosen it up
Another option is to put a pencil / knife /straw, something of that shape, into the container while its freezing. Once you remove it from the container take out said object and put a string through, now you can hang it in their stall and it doubles as a toy.
You can give this horse treat you your horse anywhere! If they don’t like it it will eventually melt and mostly like a pasture mate will go for the goodies!